Water Bill Dispute process in Dekalb County
DeKalb County Water Bill Dispute FAQs
What does the dispute process look like?
If you notice your bill higher than average or think there is a problem with your water meter:
- Contact Utility Customer Operations to dispute a water bill at 404-371-3000.
- The call will be transferred to a Customer Assurance team member who will manage the dispute.
- Customer Assurance will calculate the average bill and send an email and letter confirming the bill is in dispute and the average bill amount.
- Customer Assurance transfers the dispute to a field technician, who will investigate the water meter. There is no requirement to hire a plumber before a field technician inspects the meter. The cost for a field technician visit has been waived during the moratorium.
- The field technician will complete a checklist with meter information, work performed and pictures if applicable. The checklist will be returned to Customer Assurance.
- Customer Assurance will contact the customer to adjust the bill as necessary and resolve the dispute.
- The customer should disregard any disconnection notices received as long as the dispute process has begun, and average bill is paid.
DeKalb County will not require a plumber to visit before a field technician is dispatched. Your property management team will have a plumber check your property and will call the county if they feel it's a county issue.
If you believe you have incurred costs due to a faulty water meter or incorrect billing, the customer should begin the dispute resolution process. All disputes are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Dispute Resolution Center
Contact Information:106 E. Ponce de Leon Avenue
Decatur, GA 30030
Website: DeKalb County Water Department
Instructions on How To File a Dispute in DeKalb County