All rental properties are not created equal. Some are big, some are small. Some are drab and lacking pizazz while others stand out and draw too much attention.
Do certain properties and features attract certain tenants? Absolutely. Everyone is different and looking for different things in their rental property. And, if you are looking to attract the cream of the crop tenants, there are some rental features you are not going to want to leave out.
We’ve got the top 10 rental features that will attract the best of the best tenants for your Atlanta rental property.
1. Excellent schools. Most of your best tenants will be hardworking, educated individuals. They know and understand the importance of a good education. For those with a family – or who intend to have one – great schools are a sought-after feature.
2. Upgraded appliances. You can have the nicest rental property, but if the appliances are old and dated, you can lose some potentially great tenant. Update your appliances –especially those in the kitchen.
3. Landscaping. Appearances are everything to a lot of people. And, some of the best tenants work hard to protect their image. They want a home that looks nice and has great curb appeal.
4. Well-maintained home. Great tenants generally prefer a newer property. However, maintaining an older property can be just as efficient. Taking a look around the rental home can make or break a potential tenant – does the property look neat, kept-up, and healthy?
5. Safe neighborhoods. Everyone wants to feel safe in their neighborhood. Finding a nice rental property in a neighborhood that you can walk, socialize, and enjoy is important.
6. A great landlord or property management team. Dealing with frustrations when it comes to paying rent, addressing issues at the property, and so forth is not something quality tenants desire.
7. Ready for move-in. The best tenants often have all of their ducks in a row. When it comes time to move-in, they want to do just that – move-in. Your property should not have anything that needs to be taken care of, fixed, or cleaned by your tenant upon arrival.
8. Privacy. Just because you own the property and someone else is renting it doesn’t mean they don’t deserve privacy. If you want the best tenants, you are going to want to give them privacy. Don’t mettle around the property and, if applicable, fence the backyard.
9. Price your property right. Cream of the crop tenants tend to have options. You won’t find them grabbing ahold of the first property they can despite the cost. Make sure you are offering your property with a fair rental fee – or be open to negotiating.
10. A “green” home. Offering a rental property that has some “green” features can be a big win for the top of the line tenants. Offer amenities such as updated, efficient appliances and heating/cooling, and even solar paneling and so forth.
In order to grab the right tenants, you have to know what they are looking for. There you have it – the top 10 rental features that attract the best of the best tenants.
Marina Shlomov, a managing partner at ALH|Podland Realty and Atlanta Rental Homes Property Management is the author of many articles on Landlording, Real Estate, Rental Property Management, Atlanta Property Management, and Real Estate Investing. A residential builder in the state of Georgia since 1999, Marina is an investor herself. Her Atlanta property management company is intended “For Investors” and “By Investors” for a simple reason – she knows what investors’ goals are and she works hard to reach their goals. In her spare time, Marina likes to spend time with her family, friends, garden, read and travel. Check her out at www.alhpodland.com. You can find Marina’s articles and comments at @rentalhomesatl on Twitter, on Facebook, Google+, Blogger. and YouTube,BiggerPockets and REI CLub and LinkedIn.