Decatur Property Management Advice: Rental Home Winter Maintenance Tips
With the transition to cooler weather and upcoming holiday seasons, home maintenance switches gears, and as your Decatur property management company, we have prepared some useful tips for maintaining your rental home in tip top shape.
- Adjust the frequency of the watering system accordingly and when appropriate, turn it completely off.
- Rake up leaves so grass does not die or create molds and fungus.
- Disconnect garden hoses from outdoor spigots to prepare for possible freezing.
- Report any problems with standing water to your Property Manager.
- The days are shorter and darker earlier, therefore, be sure to remove any debris or object which could cause injuries from your rental.
- Trim bushes away from house and weed garden beds in preparation for winter. This is also a safety item around walkways as well.
- Turn on outdoor lights when appropriate, such as during Halloween or Christmas, but to save on energy bills, turn off during the day.
- Keep debris away from house and dispose properly to prevent unnecessary fires or pests.
- If there is a fireplace in the property, NEVER put warm or hot ashes in a trash can. Instead, place in a metal container away from the residence until cold, then dispose of properly.
- If you put up holiday lights, please remove them when the holiday is over. Do not leave holiday lights on when you are not in the residence.
- If your tenants have a live tree during the holidays, be sure to tell them to keep it watered and dispose of it properly and immediately after the holiday is over.
- Check indoor holiday lights and/or pre-lit trees carefully for safety and do not leave on when you leave the residence. Dispose of any possible hazardous lights.
Ants become more aggressive with colder weather and try to come indoors. However, there are measures to take for prevention.
- Before bringing in potted plants, check for “ant nests” and if there are any, flush the pot repeatedly with water to flush them out. Once you are sure the ants are gone, you can safely bring the plant into the residence.
- To prevent ants from accessing your pet's food bowl, put a thin ring of petroleum jelly around the rim.
- Empty the garbage often and dispose of properly in garbage receptacles.
- Keep food and spills cleaned up throughout the home to avoid attraction of ants.
- If you bring firewood in, do so shortly before you need it and do not store in the residence. Firewood attracts a variety of pests, including ants, and can transport them into your home.
If your tenants have accidentally brought pests into the home, we have a great resource you can use to help get rid of the bugs.
- Check smoke alarms and if not working, replace the battery. If it still does not work, report it immediately to your Decatur property manager. This is an important safety item for you and your tenants.
- Change the filter if you have a forced air system. This is important to do throughout the year and should be a part of your lease agreement. It will lead to lower heating bills and help keep the air cleaner in your home.
- Make sure to check dryer vents regularly and remove debris. This will increase the efficiency and avoid a possible fire.
- Check windows and doors for proper closure and locking.
- Instruct tenants to close all windows and doors when leaving to prevent rain damage and increase safety.
- If there is a fireplace in the residence, make sure the flue is open before lighting the fire.
- If the fireplace is being used and there are any problems, immediately extinguish the fire, and notify the landlord or the Decatur Property Manager immediately.
We want to remind you to check your tenants renters’ insurance coverage yearly and if they do not have insurance, we strongly urge you to have them buy a policy. If you do need help with maintenance of your Decatur rental properties or are interested in property management in Decatur Ga, please give us a call at 404-937-1850 or contact us here – we are here to help,.